PROSCAR 5 MG
Proscar is based of a compound called finasteride. Finasteride belongs to a group of medicines called Type II ‘5-alpha reductase inhibitors’
Finasteride lowers the levels of DHT in the scalp, this helps to reverse the balding process, leading to an in-creased hair growth and prevention of further hair loss.
• Treatment of an enlarged prostate
• Treatment of scalp hair loss in men
• Treatment of excessive hair growth in women
• Hormone therapy in transgender women
• Increase of testosterone levels in the body
• Reduced chance of a successful erection – (Impotence) (May persist after treatment)
• Less desire to have sex – (Reduced libido) (May persist after treatment)
• Problems with ejaculation, for example a decrease in the amount of semen released during sex. (May persist after treatment)
• Breast swelling or tenderness
• Feeling your heartbeat – (Palpitations)
Stop taking Proscar and talk to your doctor if you experience:
• Symptoms of an allergic reaction: swelling of your lips, face, tongue and throat; difficulty swallowing; lumps under your skin (hives) and breathing difficulties.
• Depression (feeling of severe sadness and unworthiness).
Avoid use of Proscar if;
You are allergic (hypersensitive) to finasteride or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
You are already taking finasteride or dutasteride used for a prostate problem called benign prostatic hyper-plasia (BPH)
• Recommended dose: 1 tablet/day
• Period: Continued use for benefit sustaining (Effect reversal after end of treatment)